Links and Recommended Reading
ORGANISATIONS WE WORK WITH
* We run a weekly gardening club and an after school club at Moulsecoomb Primary School help maintain their extensive and award winning school grounds.
* We offer pupils from BACA qualifications at the school and at the forest garden. We also work at the Swan Centre
* We work with pupils from Homewood College and Cedar Centre a school for pupils with complex needs
* Active Student is based at Brighton University and match up students with volunteering opportunities. We also have regular students working at us through the Community Participation & Development Module scheme
* We work closely with Brighton and Hove Food Partnership
* We offer work experience and training to people with learning difficulties from a range of organisations such as Small Opportunities, Brighton Mencap, Autism Sussex, Outlook Foundation and The Disabilities Trust
WE ARE MEMBERS OF
* Garden Organic Europe’s largest organic organisation. They also run the Heritage Seed Library protecting outlawed vegetable seed.
* Brighton and Hove Organic Gardening Group
* Brighton and Hove Allotment Federation
* We buy most of our vegetable seeds and plants from Chase Organics
OTHER USEFUL LOCAL LINKS
* Special Branch is a tree nursery based at Stanmer Organics which grows native trees from local seeds and has supplied us and Moulsecoomb Primary.
* Whitehawk Community Food Project Similar to ourselves but on the other side of town
* Seedy Sunday Find out about Brighton’s annual community seed swap
* Friends of Wild Park Organise work parties and help look after Moulsecoomb Wild Park
* The Bevendean Cooperative Pub Support the first urban, community, co-op estate pub in the UK!!!
Brighton Downs – a Freedom to Roam Guide and Whitehawk Hill – Where the Turf Meets the Surf both by Dave Bangs
Flora Britannica by Richard Mabey – accounts of the role of our wild plants in our social life, arts, custom and landscapes
Roger Phillips is a photographer who made wildflower, trees, grasses, mushroom and wild foods a lot easier to identify
The Organic Salad Garden by Joy Larkcom
OTHER USEFUL CONTACTS
* Corporate Watch Keeping an eye on dodgy corporations including excellent materials on supermarkets.
* Sustain The alliance for better food and farming
* Queens Park Books are a community writing and book publishing company based in Brighton, where they have been producing and promoting local life histories for over 25 years. They believe that "everyone has a history and anyone can be a writer."
* First Tunnels For over 20 years, they've been leading the way in the supply of both domestic and commercial Polytunnels, extending the growing season for gardeners big and small.
Get in touch!
Contact details and opening times
of The Moulsecoomb
Forest Garden and Wildlife Project