Home | Education | Cooking | About | News | Contact | Volunteer | Blog | Directions | The Book | Donations | Links

"I know that several people got into trouble for putting in newspapers and things like this in the bins - the corporation used to fine people a fiver _ which was a lot of money in them days, when the average person was earning about £2 10 shillings a week.

When I was 14 I worked in the abattoir to earn a bit of pocket money. It was a busy place with cattle arriving on the railway trucks once or twice a day. Inspectors used to come round to check for TB and any infected cattle were taken to the incinerators and burnt

In those days you used to have a station in Hollingdean Road which was called Hollingdean Road Halt (This was later changed to the Lewes Road station). It was just above where the petrol station is now, and you used to have to walk up about 45 big wooden steps to get up to the station. The line went to Kemptown and there were trains running from there to Brighton station every hour. A lot of people worked in London and lived in Kemp town. It was very popular in them days.

Later on I worked as a sheet metal worker at Allen West for about 12 years when it was in Lewes Road. It was the biggest employer in Brighton.

The Preston army barracks used to stretch from the end of Saunders Park to Natal Road so you can imagine the hundreds of troops that were in there. Every Sunday morning you would see two gun carriages coming out of the Barracks driven by six horses with troops behind marching and they would go down to St.Peter's Church every Sunday on church parade. It used to look beautiful with the well-groomed horses and brass all polished. Of course with that many horses they had a lot of manure to get rid of and the allotment holders were grateful to take it off them."

In Everything seems smaller: A Brighton boyhood between the Wars Sid Manville talks about the overcrowding with his family somehow packing 12 people into a house. "Although the big bed was a monster of steel and brass, there was no way that it would take us four-in-a-row with any degree of comfort, so we slept sardine fashion. Pillows or a bolster top and bottom, and we kids in head-to-toe, two-at-each end formation...there was always a bit of a scuffle during the initial manoeuvring for position, during which time the brass knobs rattled like mad; but when calm had settled, the closeness provided by this method of sleeping brought with it a cosiness which modern kids find only in cuddly toys. For many years my brother Alfie's big toe was my Teddy Bear."


Home | Education | Cooking | About | News | Contact | Volunteer | Blog | Directions | The Book | Donations | Links