Home | Education | Cooking | About | News | Contact | Volunteer | Blog | Directions | The Book | Donations | Links

a while until Harrriot took her to court to get her evicted. We all went to stay with her sisters in Brighton until she got her house from the council in November 1929. She had stored all the furniture into one of Mr.Morgan's cow sheds and it was all covered in urine from the cattle.

I remember there used to be a big turret by the train track that looked like a little castle (This was probably the old dovecote that was converted into a summer house where the Prince of Wales would play his silver flute - see picture on page 1. Editors note) My brother used to say there were tunnels under the big house that went all the way to the Pavilion but I dunno how true that is!

Everything's so fast nowadays. I think kids are missing out, because they can't use their own imagination so much. All they've got is computers and flippin' television. When we were young we could go where we wanted and our parents would know we were safe, but you can't now with all the vandalism and cars shooting past."

Mrs Berry says she remembers coming home from school one day to find a petrol tank outside her mums house in the middle of the road. David Rowland's book The Brighton Blitz describes how it got there.

"Wednesday April 30 1941.

Lawrence Holford, a forty eight year old war reserve police constable, was on patrol in the Lewes Road area. His route covered Dewe Road, where the Allen West factory was engaged in war work.

At about 3pm PC Holford called in on the gatekeeper, Stepher Dyer; both were in the gatekeeper's hut when disaster struck. There had been a number of allied aircraft in the sky above Brighton. Suddenly two Beaufighters collided; there was a deafening crash and the planes disintegrated over the factory. The engine of one smashed down through the hut, killing PC Holford and Mr.Dyer instantly. The other engine fell on allotments in Roedale Road.

The Beaufighter, then, was still on the secret list, and local reports of the tragedy referred to the downed planes as Spitfires.

Such was the impact that pieces of the doomed aircraft were scattered over a large area of the town.

One pilot managed to parachute to safety but the other three aircrew of the two planes were killed - one crashing through the roof of a house in Roedale Road."


Home | Education | Cooking | About | News | Contact | Volunteer | Blog | Directions | The Book | Donations | Links