Home | Education | Cooking | About | News | Contact | Volunteer | Blog | Directions | The Book | Donations | Links

 
The area was also surrounded by smallholdings… (OS Map 1931)
" We used to get most of our manure for the allotments from Jock Rose, who owned Home Farm (the farm nearest Moulsecoomb Place near where Queensdown Road school is now). He was what you called a heavy farmer because he had a horse, as well as keeping pigs, chickens and ducks.

Another fellow had a smallholding where the school itself now stands - there used to be a flint barn there.

Harry Dynes had land just behind what is now Moulsecoomb station (to the left of the electricity sub station) He was a market gardener and had a horse and cart with a canvas roof on it which he used to take produce on and sell at peoples' doors. He eventually took over a shop at Coombe Road at the end of the war.

George White was a pig and goat man who had land on top of the hill. He used to keep his old Bradford van in another flint barn that was built into the side of the railway bank.

   

Home | Education | Cooking | About | News | Contact | Volunteer | Blog | Directions | The Book | Donations | Links